How CAMP 2021 Works
The course will be split into 3 distinct phases, with gates that allow the companies to choose whether to move forward. The end outcome of the program is to support Canadian companies with establishing an entity in China. The course duration will be 6 months: Phase 1 is 3 months, Phase 2 is 2 months, and Phase 3 is 1 month. Additional support will be provided to companies beyond the formal Phase 3 plans as needed. For more details, please refer to the draft program outline. Additional details will be released in May.
- Phase 1 will focus on educating companies about China.
Phase 2 will focus on developing a company specific plan for entering China.
- Education on the Chinese market (landing locations, government motivations, culture)
- Viable company structures within China (WFOE, JV, sales office)
- Introduction to Canadian agencies that can support market entry in China
Phase 3 will focus on market entry.
- Introductions to landing locations and Chinese market entry partners
- Business development in China to determine the company specific opportunity
- Development of a China specific pitch deck and financial forecast
- Landing location negotitations
- Investor and strategic partner meetings
- Trip to China in late 2021 (pending COVID-19 restrictions)
Have any questions or need additional information? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The program will be open to any Canadian company which owns IP related to the product or service that they sell and is interested in exploring the fit within the Chinese market. The program will accept approximately 20 companies but may adjust this number depending on the quality of applicants. The selection process will be as follows:
- Identify potential companies for participation in the CAMP 2021 program on an ongoing basis until the application deadline of April 25th, 2021
- Conduct initial company screening based on program eligibility criteria and alignment with program objectives
- Identify companies based on feedback and input from our application review panel
- Select approximately 20 companies to participate in CAMP 2021
- Notify all applicants, whether successful or not, by May 5th, 2021
One of the core intentions for the program is to assist Canadian companies with landing their IP into China to monetize it within the Chinese market. As a result, the program selection committee will be looking for companies that own IP that would be unique and desirable in China based on the market and government needs.
To be accepted into the program, the basic eligibility criteria must be met:
- Be a Canadian company with Canadian owned Intellectual Property seeking to commercialize their technology in the Chinese market
- Companies that are developing unique IP which is not yet formally protected or plan to develop IP in China are eligible
- Preferences will be given to companies in the following areas: advanced manufacturing, new materials, information technology (ICT), healthcare IT, medical devices, clean technology, virtual reality, artificial intelligence and machine learning
- Should have a fully developed prototype and ideally pilot customers
- Preference will be given to companies that have raised at least a Seed funding round or government grants
- Company participants in Canada will need to be available for morning and evening meetings to interface with Chinese partners
The CAMP program will not provide funding to the companies or expect the companies to pay for any part of the program being delivered. No investment will be made into the companies. Connections to funding agencies and VC’s in Canada and China will be provided, but the program makes no guarantee’s that the company will successfully receive funding from any funding agency or VC.
The program will promote and support companies to apply for the CanExport funding program offered through the Canadian Trade Commissioner Services. The CanExport program offers up to $75,000 CAD to help Canadian companies break into new international markets, including China. More details about the funding program can be found on the Trade Commissioner Service website here.
CAMP recommends companies to apply for the CanExport funding to be utilized during the second phase of the program when market development in China is anticipated. It will be up to the companies to choose how they fund any expansion into China and how they may use the funding that is awarded from third-party programs.
January 22, 2021
Applications open here on the website.
April 25, 2021
Application period closes at 11:59pm EST on April 25.
May 5, 2021
Companies are notified regarding application status.
May 11, 2021
Phase 1 of the CAMP 2021 program begins. Zoom events scheduled every two weeks.
August 10, 2021
Phase 2 of the CAMP 2021 program begins. Deep dive into Chinese business plan, including Chinese market focused pitch decks and financial forecasts.
October 5, 2021
Phase 3 of CAMP 2021 program begins. Detailed planning for the formation of a Chinese entity. Trip to China (pending COVID-19 restrictions).
Applications Closed for 2021